Tuesday 17 September 2019

Buccaneer Surgeon or The Deadly Lady of Madagascar?

It's me again!

Don't think this is going to be a regular thing. If you want news, you should go to my literal website, but I'm feeling a bit retro, and for no obvious reason I've been reading an ancient bookmark about Dr Frank Slaughter (also CV Terry) whose novels sold 60 million copies and drew on his doctoring (Air Surgeon), his pleasure in historical research (Sangaree) and his faith (The Galileans; The Song of Ruth; The Scarlet Cord: A novel of the woman of Jericho; David, Warrior and King; The Crown and the Cross: The Life of Christ and many more). It made me feel like a lazy slug, but lots of things do because I am.

Oh! I've looked all the way to the end of the Wikipedia page and now I think I know why I bookmarked him some years ago. Some special ones among you may be able to work it out too. It could be a coincidence but I don't think so.

I saw Long Shot on Sunday night. I was surprised it hadn't done better. Two weeks before, I watched Joe vs The Volcano for the first time since it came out. I loved it then and didn't think it would have held up and it does in spades. In other cultural news, read long sagas about trees or villages on battered coastlines. You never go far wrong.


No comments: