Wednesday 9 January 2013

what is the best dutch poem written in english?


It is this one, by Dr. Gerard Nolst Trenité, by miles. You may already know it. I didn't before two hours ago, when it was sent to me by my soon-to-be-sister-in-law.

You might also be interested in reading the greatest letter ever written to an agent. Unfortunately, I am not sure what that is. I bet there have been some good ones. But if this one, by Joe Eszterhas, isn't up there, I would be shocked. Link via @someoneontwitter.

It is possible that everyone on earth saw this lipsync wedding proposal before I did. It is fantastic, even though I fundamentally disapprove of public proposals.

Ten years ago I reviewed Andy Miller's book, Tilting at Windmills, about a non-sports guy getting into crazy golf. The most gripping passage was an interview with a pro wrestling boss saying that he wanted control of snooker - all you need to do, he explained, is fix the results. Then you can have a great piece of theatre, with characters and storylines.

What Barry Hearn wants to do with ping pong is not the same, but it has some similarities. I really hope it works, because pre-sponge ping pong was a great spectator sport, and the post-sponge game, which can't turn back the clock for sponsorship reasons, simply is not.

No comments: