Tuesday 1 May 2012

minibreak!

Guess what I saw on my minibreak! I saw this from the kitchen:


I heard it before I saw it. I really, really heard it. I found it hard to mind, though.


He turned around like a satellite dish hunting a signal for about half an hour before we stopped being fascinated. His suitee wandered around pecking the floor and looking bored, as per below. About twenty minutes later there was an almighty noise, so she probably stopped being bored eventually.


We went for a walk and saw this intriguing sign. In case you can't read the notice, it says:

NOTICE
THIS SHOP IS STILL OPEN FOR TRADING DESPITE RUMOURS AND SPECULATION

I really want to know the story behind this.


The place we were staying was full of enticing books. Take, for instance:


Joan Conquest! I'm going to have to get a better name. And Joan Conquest is small beer compared to one of the other authors advertised in the back pages of The Hawk of Egypt (long term readers will know how much I like the old novels you find in the back of old novels):


(Victoria Cross was a pseudonym of Annie Sophie Cory, whose first novel, The Woman Who Didn't, was a response to Grant Allen's The Woman Who Did. Her sister, Adela Florence Nicolson, wrote scandalous verse and pretended she was translated esoteric Indians. Hardy liked the poems she wrote as Laurence Hope.)

2 comments:

Zed said...

Have you seen the Flannery O'Connor piece about living with peacocks? http://holidaymag.wordpress.com/2012/03/30/living-with-a-peacock-by-flannery-oconnor-september-1961/

Robert Hudson said...

I had not. I have now. Thank you very much.