Friday, 10 February 2012
so. many. tabs.
The problem is that there is a lot of interesting stuff out there. So, quickly:
1. As I keep saying these days, I've written a book called The Dazzle. I've discussed dazzle camouflage before, but here are some other great sites:
- This one has people planning and painting dazzle ships.
- This one links to (not recently updated but good) Dazzle Blog which was attached to a dazzle exhibition.
- This one might be the best collection of Dazzle pics, including the fantastic car above, some WW1 German infantry dazzle gloves and, as a bonus, a ship camouflaged as an island. (Yes, a dazzle car would literally be dangerous.)
2. Did you read this article about atheism in America? Did you know that there are currently six openly gay Congressmen and women, but there has only ever been one open atheist? Ever. And he calls himself 'non-theist'. There's also a great bit about people who would let a woman babysit knowing she was on crack but not when they knew she was an atheist. (Americans: if this article is a load of old foreign ignorance, do tell me. It's FT, which I quite trust, and linked to from Slate, which I also quite trust.)
3. Name an English sportsman who can perform well in an advert. Name one. Gary Linekar isn't utterly terrible, but he's not-bad-for-a-footballer. And that's as good as it gets over here. Now, Britishers, watch Peyton Manning, whose one of the best American footballers ever: