Monday, 30 January 2012

hey! it's a short inspiring photo essay!

I'm back from outer space. Literal outer space. One thing I did there was go to WH Smith because I had to catch a train and, as usual, I was fifteen minutes early. I got transfixed by this display:

'Brilliant' seems to be an self-help imprint working somewhere along the lines of 'for Dummies'. People who want self-help don't want to be told they're dummies, though. They're aspirational. They're brilliant.



One title leapt out at me and my co-traveller. We totally understand what confidence is, and presentation, but what is NLP? (If you know, then this IPE is going to be no fun for you. If you don't, read on.) We picked up the book...



We still didn't know what NLP was, but it sure sounded good. We opened the book. First up, the authors' page.



I like the sound of someone who has worked with entrepreneurs and children. I've done that myself and I turned out ok. I'm not a director at Quadrant 1 International, though. That, right there, is the difference NLP can make. I am glad Pat Hutchinson has written another book about NLP, and I am beginning to hope that it mainly says what NLP is. One day I want an enviable record of results.

Anyway, what's next?



Ah, the contents. The impact of words is something I do think about actually. It has had the odd fantastic outcome, but I would like more of those. I wonder what beliefs I could adopt that would accord with NLP? Buddhism? Scientology? Flat-earthism? It's hard to say at this point.

Sorry, facetious. This is just contents. It isn't their job to provide definitions. The next page was the Introduction, which would explain, presumably:



'NLP can change your life'. Well, in a small way, it was already changing mine. But this could be the start of something much bigger - relationships, management skills, success in EVERYTHING and general BRILLIANCE were only a book away. Still, unfortunately, no clue as to nature of NLP. But I had never been more keen. So next page:



Ah, a brief history! Wait? So brief it doesn't even say what NLP is? That is too brief.

And then, finally, 'It does what it says on the tin'. Obviously, given the previous, this is a very ironical chapter title, but we were so grateful that we were finally told 'neurolinguistic programming' that neither of us minded.

After that, there was barely time for me to photograph another page of these bullshit books, surrounding the very brilliant Michael Lewis's The Big Short as if they were fit to share its air, and to be upbraided by a security guard because I was not allowed to take photographs in WH Smith, and for me to say, 'Really?' and for him to say, 'It's company policy,' and for me to speculate, 'I think that's not true, and you're just saying that because you're bored,' before my co-traveller pointed out that we were now on the verge of missing our train. We had to run.

No comments: