Wednesday, 3 August 2011

Nonsense about Doctor Who


'One example is that of Doctor Who writers Russell T Davies and Steven Moffat who began their careers writing fan fiction about the time lord.'

This appears in a BBC feature about copyright It sounds like rubbish to me. I mean, real rubbish. Russell T Davies began his career in a very traditional way by writing plays as a kid, more while he was at Oxford, going into telly and rising up the ranks.

People speak such nonsense about copyright. The article says that reducing copyright freedoms might well expand creativity. I don't know how much the writer depends on copyright for his or her living. Personally, I don't think it's sane to get too worried about people nicking your stuff online. I think you should make it easy for them not to, but they will, and there it is.

I have a couple of other things to say about copyright after listening to an amazing This American Life about patent trolls crippling software creativity. I have to get my thoughts a bit clearer first. You can hardly wait, can you?

(My favourite thing about this ever is from a guy called Paul Cornell.)

No comments: