Thursday 16 June 2011

in which top interational sport are women better than men?


Well, people say that ultimately open ultrarunning will have female champions,* but its US Open golf week, which makes this a good time to tell anyone who missed it that the US Open minigolf championship was won last month by Czech prodigy Olivia Prokopova.

She was practising for three weeks before the tournament in Branson, MO.** Others, like Brad Lebo and Rainy Statum, couldn't afford to give up that sort of time. It paid off, though. The prize is $3000.***

Olivia has been on the tour for years. Her dad is very driven on her behalf. If something's worth doing, it's worth doing well.

And while we are on the subject of battling sexes, and in light of yesterday's post, I have been meaning for ages to talk about my all-time favourite jacket copy. Doing a bit of digging, I found that the publisher of the books involved says they are 'Stories for men... And women with spirit.' Get in. I'll go on about them more tomorrow. Or later.



* Favourite quote: 'In the greatest ultra of them all - Life - women consistently achieve greater performances'.
** Population 6,000 or so, but it has a Titanic Museum and lots of other stuff. It says it's the 'live entertainment capital of the world'. I am not so sure.
*** I found out about this via Slate's Hang Up and Listen.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Olympic skijumping!

Ever since they changed techniques, lighter bodies have a huge advantage.

http://www.time.com/time/specials/packages/article/0,28804,1963484_1963490_1963447,00.html

Robert Hudson said...

This is interesting. I have bookmarked some things to blog about later. I have an unusually thick pile of things I want to blog about.