Wednesday 13 April 2011

book manipulation

I'm sure I've written about this before, but I love the way publishers finagle the sizes (thicknesses) of books to meet perceived audience desires. This week's examples:

1. Skippy Dies by Paul Murray. I loved this book. I read it in a very thick volume, and it was published in a box as three books for a while. It is now in a surprisingly thin single volume, of well over 600 pages. It feels dense when you pick it up, and it is.



2. Parrot and Olivier in America. I love Peter Carey and I've been waiting for this in paperback. It is appreciably - a good fifth - thicker than Skippy Dies, but it's about fifty pages shorter. It could have been much thinner, too - it has really quite large print and a lot of white space on the paper.



Honestly, have a look at this in bookshops. Honestly, it's fun. Honestly. (Rule of three.)

1 comment:

Matthew said...

Today's Telegraph:

"The insurance centre worker, who is six foot tall and weighs 13 stone, believes the fox mistook him for a small creature like a water vole or a rabbit."

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/earth/earthnews/8450736/Sleeping-fisherman-in-furry-deer-hunter-hat-bitten-by-fox.html