Tuesday, 29 March 2011

cannon and ball, poetry, religion


Found this the other day. The whole thing is worth reading. They were Britain's biggest double act. Bobby - I hesitate to call him the funny one so let's just say he was the one with the moustache - couldn't spend the money fast enough. He drank, he boozed, he 'saw as many women as he could'.

Despite all this Bobby had been searching for the truth about God for some time. Having looked into many different religions he started to read his Bible. "I liked the Old Testament best, and was enthralled by the way they sometimes didn't eat certain things. I even stopped eating bacon sandwiches for two years, despite the fact I really loved them. What I really felt was very dirty, and I knew I needed forgiveness.


Read that again. He stopped eating bacon sandwiches for two years even though he really loved them. That is what God is about.

What about Tommy Cannon? "I couldn’t believe it when he stopped getting drunk, but at first I just put it down to Bobby going through another one of his 'phases'" explains Tommy.

They break box office records on gospel tours and have just enjoyed one of the biggest panto advances of their careers. The website adds: Bobby is actually a brilliant poet. His chosen prayer is the closing section of a poem he has written called 'Power of Praise'.

Please forgive me, but I find it hard to apologise,
To be able to see the other person's point of view.
But deep inside, behind all this sinful pride,
I want to be just like you.


This goes on for another five verses, which I won't post here because it is protected by something called 'copywrite law'.

1 comment:

Michelle said...

'Copywrite law' obviously only exists in 'Briton'.