Tuesday, 1 February 2011

words of wisdom

The opening paragraph of the book I am swapping on Thursday evening at the LRB, with Marie Phillips, William Fiennes and Nikesh Shukla, runs:
The only advice I can offer, should you wake up vertiginously in a strange flat, with a thoroughly installed hangover, without any recollection of how you got there, with the police sledgehammering down the door to the accompaniment of excited dogs, while you are surrounded by bales of lavishly-produced magazines featuring children in adult acts, the only advice I can offer is to try to be good-humoured and polite.
To make it easier for long-time readers of this blog, this is a book reviewed on Amazon thusly:
Of the many books I have read so far, I have come to the conclusion that XXXX is the best.
When I first read it, somewhere in about 1997 I think, I was blown away.

1 comment:

Julie said...

The Thought Gang. I keep giving this book away in order to get other people to read it...which is fair enough, as that's how I first got to read it (thanks Sarah, wherever you are now!)