Tuesday, 8 June 2010

the year of the hare

The last time or last-time-but-one I was in my equal-favourite bookshop*, there was moment of serious consternation when it was realised that at no point had they made me buy (made me buy) Arto Paasilinna's The Year of the Hare.



'It's like breathing pure oxygen,' I was told. An odd review, you might think. I wouldn't have come up with it, but after reading the book, it seems just right somehow. Certainly I can't think of one I'd prefer to give you. Certainly don't read the insane, spoilerful Amazon reviews. Also, for what it's worth, I don't think the cover description of '... with an ecological theme' is at all helpful.

It's a Finnish icon, it's very short and I absolutely loved it.

* West End Lane Books being my favourite predated them being on Sky Arts, but this video didn't cool me towards them

No comments: