Monday 14 June 2010

I am surrounded by a conspiracy shrieking "Fish!" from every direction

That is what I thought to myself when Marie gave me a book the other day. The opening line of the book:
On the verandah of the Buckley's Crossing Hotel, reclining in dimpled leather armchairs, Judges Carrington and Thorpe observed in silence the giant trout shuffling across the bridge.
I am very grateful to have the book, The Trout Opera by Matthew Condon, and the first chapter bodes very well.* But I am not just fish guy.

In other news, I can't wait to go to this.


* It can be really annoying getting hold of books published in Australia. I have been gently trying to get hold of Frank Moorhouse's Dark Palace for ages, having loved Grand Days, to which it's a sequel.**

** I've just bought a second hand or imported copy.***

*** I assume Australians feel similar frustrations re The Kilburn Social Club.

4 comments:

Marie said...

Oh me too. Can we go together?

Caroline Hardman said...

Having more or less described your blog only recently as "American football meets fish", I feel I can hardly have helped in your fight against the fish guy image. Sorry.

Since the damage is already done......you know about this, right?

http://squid.tepapa.govt.nz/build-a-squid

Robert Hudson said...

CH: oh yes. Click the 'cuppy' label on today's post and very soon you will see me building my own squid. (You will not see me.)

MP: OK.

Matthew said...

Then you might also like this: http://www.ouramazingplanet.com/infographic-tallest-mountain-to-deepest-ocean-trench-0249.