Wednesday, 14 April 2010

tactical nuclear penguin

Time Magazine: almost every time I find myself there, I have a good time. Today's good time, when I was researching an important thing that will make the world sit up and really take notice of me at last, and change a lot of things, was with respect to beer.

Beers have funny names, and some of them are too arch. It's a bit embarrassing in pubs sometimes, if you happen to like beer, asking for drinks like Pumpkin Fuddler, but on the upside, you're only doing this because you happen to like beer, and you are getting some beer, so it all evens out. Time's piece is about BrewDog, a Scottish company which claims to have produced the world's strongest beer.*



This was Tactical Nuclear Penguin, at 32%. But then some Germans created Schorschbock at 40%. But then back came BrewDog. This video is funnier than I expected. The beer costs a lot, but it's not normal beer. I'd like some.

Sink the Bismarck! from BrewDog on Vimeo.



(They had to pull an 18.2% beer called Tokyo because of their marketing, which went:
It is all about moderation. Everything in moderation, including moderation itself. What logically follows is that you must, from time, have excess. This beer is for those times
They then produced a 1.1% beer called Nanny State. I find Loaded/Top Gear-style laddishness a bit tiring, but I like these guys a lot.)


* They've been in the papers. Maybe this is old news to everyone but me. If it is, I am sorry for wasting your time.

No comments: