Monday 15 February 2010

what happened next for miss sweden

If you have been waiting with bated breath ever since this, here is what happened to Miss Sweden:
‘You know the girl who was Miss Sweden?’

‘Yes, I saw her in Cannes. A charming and beautiful girl.’

‘Well, she had been having an affair with a character called Augeneau, who is the so-called “watch King” of France. He gained his power by organising the smuggling of watches from Switzerland into France using couriers climbing over the Alps. He’s a real gorilla.

‘Anyway, I got a frantic call from our friend, Miss Sweden, begging me to come to the Hotel George V. I rushed over there and up to Augeneau’s suite, to find him shouting and screaming at the girl. He suddenly ran to the next room and came back waving a gun. The girl screamed and ran to the door. Before I could stop him, Augeneau fired two shots, one of which hit the girl in the back.

‘I was afraid Augeneau would turn the gun on me, but I told him to put it away and let me call a doctor for the girl. The doctor confirmed that the bullet had broken her back and that she would probably be paralysed from the waist down for the rest of her life.’

Not for the first time, nor the last, did I reflect how often beautiful girls seem to get mixed up with the wrong sort of men.
The book is full of this stuff.

No comments: