Tuesday 9 February 2010

almost too perfect

Here are a couple of lines from the book I'm reading in the loo. It's one my mum used to go on about loving when she was a teenager, and if you can identify I will be more surprised than I can say. These are two of the many lines that are my favourite so far:

1. 'The solitude he had hated when alone he had come to love'

2. The protagonist sees a lizard. The author wants to paint a picture of it. He writes that it was, 'a slender creature of nameless color but of exquisite beauty’. I can see it now.

2 comments:

jenny said...

Hello Robert,

I 'think' the quotes you mentioned come from a book called Riders of the Purple Sage by Zane Grey. Am I correct? I don't have a copy of it in my apartment to confirm and I prefer not to cheat and search the internet. I read it in high school, not on the loo. It was in 11th grade - Mrs. Schutt's English. I guess the class had an 'American Novel' theme because we also read: Cathedral, Machine Dreams, and Beyond the Bedroom Wall. It was one of the best classes I took in high school.

Thanks for reminding of Grey and that class. I think I'll check out Riders the next time I'm at the library.

Oh, and I finished your book earlier this week. I was moved, entertained, amused....It was great! I look forward to reading your next one.

Robert Hudson said...

Bullseye in one. And I am literally delighted you enjoyed TKSC. Thank you very much.