Saturday 9 January 2010

neglected design classics

The most neglected design classic apart from all the things I have designed is this knife:



You've all seen one. If you are lucky, you have owned one. If you have, you must love it like I do or you are a weirdo (I do not discount this possibility). People go on and on about knives (even Jed Bartlet), but this would be my desert island knife if I had a kitchen on my desert island and was only allowed one knife. It works much better as a cheese knife than almost all official cheese knives (stiff enough blade for hard cheeses, also fairly shallow so the cheese doesn't stick to it, also very thin piece of metal); it's as good as any for tomatoes (little serrations); and very good as a bread knife for different types of bread, though a bigger, heaver bread knife would be, marginally, better). The one I've had for fourteen years, and which was cutting as well as it did when it was new, I imagine, though it wasn't new when I took over its use, as we thieves say, snapped off at the handle the other day. I am going to resolve this issue shortly. I will also buy some new roasting tins. I would tell you what happened to the old ones but it is still too raw.

Be still your beating hearts.

(The best wooden spoons, obviously, as everyone agrees, are these ones.)

3 comments:

Qualified Success said...

Surely everyone knows that there's only one thing that you can write on a wooden spoon, and that's "Loser".

John Finnemore said...

I would argue that that is exactly what is written on this wooden spoon.

Robert Hudson said...

What is it about you and this spoon. Why are you so OBSESSED?