Tuesday 1 December 2009

you don't care what i think

So why am I saying this?

Shall we just say I can't help myself and leave it at that. If you can, some time in the next month or so, go and see Wild Thing at the Royal Academy. I will give you some funny reasons why later, but you really don't need funny reasons.

I went mainly because this is in my small list of bits of art I will definitely focus on looting if I happen to be in Cambridge when the apocalypse comes, and I would say the same thing if Cambridge contained ALL THE ART IN THE WORLD:



(It is a bird eating a fish, and it's by Henri Gaudier-Brzeska. I bet you couldn't do a sculpture this good. I couldn't. Maybe my mum will be able to in time. She's only ever done one sculpture. If you look at her sculpture with this knowledge, you will fall out of your tree with amazement.)

Among the other Wild Thing highlights was a Venus too tall for our house, but we could keep it on the balcony. She was by Epstein, and she stood on the back of two copulating doves. There were various other more or less abstract sculptures of copulating doves, of which this rather crowy one was my favourite when I was there, and this picture doesn't do it justice more than usual for sculpture, and I can't quite work out why.



To get hold of it, I will have to be hanging around the Smithsonian come the apocalypse, which won't be the safest place on earth, since almost all apocalypses seem to take out Washington pretty comprehensively.

No comments: