Friday 10 July 2009

what's the story, carlton kirby?

I am counting on Carlton Kirby egosurfing, finding this and filling me in on the details of a story he (I think it was him, but I came in only halfway through) was telling during the Tour de France commentary the other day, which I paraphrase below.

'I was,' said CK,
in the Pyrenees testing my ability to cope with loneliness, because I'd just got a contract to do two years on a radio station in Tuvalu, which is a very small island ... Actually, after fourteen months on Tuvalu I paid a Swedish freighter captain to get me off the island as quickly as possibly. It wasn't boredom that drove me away.
His fellow commentator said, 'I'm now imagining something to do with Chieftans and daughters,' to which CK replied that this was not so far off the truth.

I want to know more, Carlton Kirby. I really, really do.

(Non TdF fans, you probably don't realise the amazing job the Eurosport commentators do of chuntering along through days that make Test Match cricket look like thrill a second stuff (which it is). I got into the TdF about eight years ago and could watch all day. Lots of hardcore cycling fans hate the waffle, and slag off the likes of Carlton and David Duffield, who is off-mike this year, but I couldn't enjoy the rambling more.)

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I too am intrigued by Carlton, he seems to have led an eventful life, a bit of a Tony Hawks character and Tony Hawks has a string of books behind him. I notice some serious negative comments about Carlton but personally I enjoy his comments. Its as much about what he does not say than what he does say!