Friday 3 July 2009

guide to this blog, and other matters


In response to upswing in visitor numbers related to imminent publication, here is a guide to this blog.

1. This is the inspiring photo essay where I describe seeing the book turned into a book.

2. That link on the side to 'my best work' links to my best unpublished work. Believe me or not.

3. Mostly the blog is amusing bits of Will Cuppy and or facts about squids/tunas/whales. Sometimes I make eerily important prognostications admired only by my friend Tom.
4. Quite rarely, I blog about my book. I imagine less rarely in the coming weeks. Viz.

A. I have to prepare for various events and readings. I have no idea what to say. By which I mean: I can describe how and why I write, but at the moment I can only do it in a fluffy and directionless way, and I wonder if that's what people will want to hear. And I really don't know which bits of KSC to read out. One of the things I've tried to do is write an exciting story, so I don't want to give any of it away. I could just read out the start, but someone told me it was better to read a few extracts and talk in between, and that does seem a more sensible way of holding attention.

B. I am organising a party to celebrate the book being published. Some people will be on holiday because it's in August and they're obsessed with getting the most expensive flights they possibly can. Various of these have asked if there is any way they can get hold of a book even so - Can I put a copy aside?, etc. I am hoping there will be other methods of getting hold of the book than this.

C. My favourite invitation response to date: 'Great to hear that your creative juices have finally come to fruition'.

D. Once every few months, my rogue five-times-normal-thickness eyebrow gets long enough to pull out, which I find very satisfying. Yesterday, after a couple of days of it flickering into my eyeline, I discovered a real live head hair of similar thickness - it is five inches long if you can imagine such a thing, and if you hold one end, it can support its own weight, standing almost erect. I have shown it to three people. The most generous response was: 'Well, I can see why you might be interested in it.' That's the trouble with sharing. Once you start, you can't stop.

4 comments:

Marie said...

DO NOT under ANY circumstances pull out the head hair before I have seen it.

Robert Hudson said...

It went in the bin yesterday. If I had had a more positive response, I would have kept it in a tin.

Unknown said...

Is that an old Velez Sarsfield shirt?

Robert Hudson said...

That's league-winning Velez Sarsfield to you. It's one I borrowed from a friend, coincidentally called Peter, who will probably only get it back if he comes to my book launch.