Sunday 12 July 2009

cocktails before lunch

This is not random Duff, since it is the entry following this one:
October 8, 1918
We all meet every morning before lunch for cocktails at the Crillon bar. Drummond and I lunched at the Ritz. There I found Diana Capel* whom I most wanted to see. I arranged to go and see her in the evening.

We have now got rooms at the Ritz and during the afternoon I moved my things thither from the Mirabeau. I had some tea with the others at the Ambassadeurs and then went to see Diana in her apartment at 88 Avenue du Bois.

I dined with Drummond whom I like very much, at Maxim's, and we went to a revue - called Plus Cela Change at the Michel. Diana was there with Capel whom I don't like the look of. Afterwards we went to an establishment in the Rue de Hambourg where he was suited but I was not. I came home to bed - tired and pure.

* Diana Wyndham, later Countess of Westmoreland, had married 'Boy' Capel in 1917. He was a successful English businessman and keen polo player who lived in Paris. He had had an affair with Coco Chanel, and financed her first fashion boutique in 1910.

No comments: