Friday 19 June 2009

old stuff (III) - roundup

1. The rules of canasta, written down by my friend Matt.

2. Surprisingly detailed plot for radio play about the dogs of Henry III of France, Catherine de Medici and the Duke of Guise. I vaguely remember it now I see it in front of me, but if you had asked me to list all the things I had thought about writing in my life, I would never have got to this. It was only about three years ago. It was full of dogs discussing inbreeding and mongrelisation. Can't have a proper play without a talking animal. It's one of my main rules.



3. Notes for trashy magazine articles I thought I might write in my secret female persona. I did write a few of these, for eg: 'Why we women should be grateful to lads' mags (for printing sex tips that make men at least a tiny bit less clueless)'.

4. Quotation from the unpublished biography of an early twentieth century South African called Theodore Reunert. I can't remember all that much about Reunert, but my gut memory is that he was a great guy in a civic-leadery kind of way. He described the relief he felt when, as a young man, an old man he barely knew gave him £10 to tide him over a hard time. He asked what he should do about paying this money back, and the old guy replied: 'When you can afford to pay me back, pass it on to the next man who needs it.'

5. Three other sheets of brilliant pieces of writing I read when I was researching my PhD, some of which were very formative. I will return to these at some point, because they deserve more space.

No comments: