Tuesday 28 April 2009

crazy futuristic kind of genius

Sometimes people don't think I am one of these things, even when I tell them in words of one syllable (which, given what I am telling them, should be evidence enough). Among the things I have successfully predicted are the credit crunch and some times when I had a feeling it would probably rain.

I am not the only person in the world wondering what Apple are going to do next and thinking that at some point in the near future there will be a new media device. I want people to be very clear, though, that I have said: when Apple nail how to do a media device, one of the things it will be good for is reading books. That's why it's important they Kindled up the iPhone even if only a nutter wants an iPhone as a primary reading device. I love books, and I think books will live quite happily with electric books, but if you don't think electric books are going to be pandemical then you are living in a dreamworld.

(Apple MIGHT get it wrong, which will give someone else a chance, but if they get it right, and produce a general media device that also becomes a default book-reader, then that's the ball game. If they get it wrong, someone will get it right. Kindle is nearly good enough on its own, from what I hear, but if I were Amazon, I'd be nervous. Except at the thought of all the electric book sales.)

No comments: