Monday 2 February 2009

rio on speed-dial

Rio Ferdinand edited this month's Observer Sport Monthly, up to a point. The Observer Sport Monthly is very good, and knew what they were doing (as well as having a nicely marketable idea), and the results are interesting. The two things I wish to share with anyone who hasn't read the issue are:

1. After talking to Gordon Brown, Rio says, 'Now I've got him on speed-dial on my phone. Now I can talk to him whenever I want.' My image is of him calling Gordon drunkenly (I am not saying Rio drinks - this is just my image) to seek solace and advice about a heartless girl or similar.

2. This is not specific to the OSM, since it's an advert. I know adverts are easy targets. The advert is for the BMW 3 Series Coupe. The advert uses pictures of two animals for illustration. On the left is a camel, over the words '665 miles on one tank'. Fair enough. I get what they are saying. On the other side, the picture is a cheetah. If the words were, '0-60 in 5 seconds' or whatever, again I imagine the parallel would be inexact but perfectly comprehensible and within poetic limits. But the sentence reads, '245hp'. A cheetah does not have the power of 245 horses.

2 comments:

Marie said...

I think they should have used a picture of 245 horses.

John Finnemore said...

I think they should have staged a race between a BMW, and another BMW with its engine removed, pulled by 245 horses.

It would be in their interests to do this, because my guess is that the car with an engine would win. They could then simply keep adding more horses to the other car, until they found the true horsepower equivalent. I think it would be quite high.