Sunday 1 February 2009

high pathetical dilemma

This is Ogden Nash, and it's very good:

The Strange Case of the Lovelorn Letter Writer

Dear Miss Dix, I am a young lady of Scandinavian origin, and I am in a quandary.
I am not exactly broody, but I am kind of pondery.
I got a twenty-five waist and a thirty-five bust,
And I am going with a chap whose folks are very uppercrust.
He is the intellectual type, which I wouldn't want to disparage,
Because I understand they often ripen into love after marriage,
But here I am all set
For dalliance,
And what do I get?
Shilly-shalliance.
Just when I think he's going to disrobe me with his eyes,
He gets up off the davenport and sighs.
Every time I let down my hair,
He starts talking to himself or the little man who isn't there.
Every time he ought to be worrying about me,
Why, he's worrying about his mother, that's my mother-in-law to be,
And I say let's burn that bridge when we come to it, and he says don't I have any sin sense,
Her uncle and her live in incense.
Well, with me that's fine,
Let them go to their church and I'll go to mine.
But no, that's not good enough for Mr. Conscience and his mental indigestion,
He's got to find two answers for every question.
If a man is a man, a girl to him is a girl, if I correctly rememma,
But to him I am just a high pathetical dilemma.
What I love him in spite of
Is, a girl wants a fellow to go straight ahead like a locomotive and he is more like a loco-might-of.
Dear Miss Dix, I surely need your advice and solace,
It's like I was in love with Henry Wallace.
Well, while I eagerly await your reply I'm going down to the river to pick flowers. I'll get some rosemary if I can't find a camellia.
Yours truly, Ophelia

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

That is very good. And I don't read poetry - as a rule.

Robert Hudson said...

Thank you very much. I don't post poetry - as a rule - I'd be interested to know whether the other ones (I have tagged them, as I always mean to do with posts, but never do) meet your approval. I wouldn't be hurt if they didn't, but I would be interested.

Anonymous said...

Here goes: Best Ever Reply - I wasn't keen. Time & Eternity - the longwords in both made me tongue-tied, so whatever it was trying to do it failed with me because of that. To a fish and fish answer - thought this was great, very shakespear-ess with all the thou s and that, but it made me chuckle. I think not too much rhyming and humourous might be the ones for me. Hardley a detailed review, but the best I can do as a none reader. Although I might be partial to the odd one now after reading the first one.

Anonymous said...

Just read High Pathetical Dilemma again and it blows those others out the water. Probably way off the mark here, but if it makes you smile it can't be all wrong, can it?

Robert Hudson said...

Thanks very much - can't promise to hit the spot every time, or even often, but it's really useful to know what people like...

Robert Hudson said...

On HPD front, it is one of two suggested to a friend for a love poem anthology. It is great.