Sunday 8 February 2009

diaries of a provincial lady

This is the book I read most often. Here is a bit:

January 4th.- A beautiful day, very mild, makes me feel that with any reasonable luck Mrs Somers will be out, and I therefore call at the Grange. She is, on the contrary, in ... [Mrs Somers impossibly elegant mother enters] ... She is introduced to me - name sounds exactly like Eggchalk but do not think this possible - and says she knows my old school-friend Miss Crabbe, at Norwich, and has heard how very, very amusing I am. Become completely paralysed and can think of nothing whatever to say except that it has been very stormy lately. Leave as soon as possible.

(Incidentally, Spencer fans, no hockey yesterday for reasons of weather, so don't beat your fingers to the bone looking for a new match report.)

No comments: