Wednesday 21 January 2009

the great anteater

More Cuppy. I try to resist, but I cannot. I am ensorcelled (a word I bet is used a billion times more often than it once was because it was on that episode of West Wing).

THE GREAT ANTEATER ... lives in Central and South America and looks like something you wouldn't believe ... Why does the Great Anteater look the way he does? Well, I'm afraid it is what comes of eating Ants. Long, long ago, before he had any name, he had begun to live exclusively on Ants and he wanted to become more efficient at it. His one aim through the ages was to be perfectly adapted to the eating of Ants. As Ants are perfectly adapted to being eaten by Anteaters, it all worked out nicely. But the Great Anteater kept right on adding improvements, such as a larger this and a more powerful that, until in my opinion he went too far. There is too much of a build-up. You don't have to be eight feet long in order to eat an Ant and don't try to tell me different. The Tamandua, or Lesser Anteater, is only two feet long and he has no difficulty whatever in eating Ants. The Least Anteater is about the size of a Rat. He would have been enough.

1 comment:

John Finnemore said...

More uncannily Hudson-esque Cuppy:

'Egyptologists say they have no idea what Khufu was doing when he was not building his pyramids, since he left no inscriptions describing his daily activities, and they would give a good deal to know. Then they say he had six wives and a harem full of concubines. They do not seem to make the connection here, but you get it and I get it.'